Implementation of KILT’s initiatives is backed by the principals, assisted by volunteers and supported by donor funding.
An audit of every school in the KILT initiative by the Western Cape Education Department and the schools’ management teams revealed several school-specific needs.
We have been able to provide the following:
- A sports ground at Hornlee Primary School and a Grade R playground at Concordia Primary School.
- A container each at Knysna Secondary School and Brackenhill Primary School, thereby freeing up space in the IT lab that had been used for book storage.
- Ramps at Fraaisig Primary School so that mobile kits on trolleys can be easily moved and fully utilised.
- Portable Chromebooks and other technology for a remedial reading programme at Knysna High School.
- A piano at Chris Nissen Primary School.
Each year, we support at least one specific high impact project as identified by each school.
“KILT has played a vital role in several extra-curricular activities, such as netball, soccer and music. Educators have entered three school choirs in competitions in 2019.”